Sunday, October 10, 2010

Dave shoots film


Why do you shoot film, Dave?

For me, shooting film is an overall process. It's the joy of slowing down and thinking about what I want to come through the camera. It's the sound of the shutter firing, the winding of each frame. The light meter needle jumping with the addition of light. The delivery of the film canister to the lab and the inevitable wait while I sit there thinking about the roll, hoping that each shot produces a little bit of magic. It doesn't happen every time, but when it works, the richness and beauty is something you just can't get with digital. It has been said before, and is a bit of a cliche, but film does have a soul. It's drenched in color and at times is grainy and imperfect, but it's those picky imperfections that makes me love it so. You never know what you are going to get. And so I race back to the lab and eagerly flip through the prints as my eyes widen with joy. It's like heroin. but healthier.

You can see more of Dave's film shots here.

No comments:

Post a Comment