Sunday, February 27, 2011

Erin shoots film


Why do you shoot film, Erin?

I started shooting film about two and a half years ago because my now fiancé, who is a complete photography geek, had two film cameras and I wanted to learn how after seeing the lovely results that film produced in comparison to digital. He surprised me with my own film camera for my birthday shortly thereafter.

The main reason I love film is because there’s something about it that just makes you slow down and really pause to be in the moment. Shooting film somehow has become a metaphor for the way I’d like to live my life- finding something in each moment, waiting and taking my time to try to get something right, and letting myself be consumed with the present moment. Also, is there anything better than that satisfying click when you finally decide to shoot? Probably, but it’s certainly a good one!

There’s also something about having to wait to see your images. I am very slow with each roll so by the time I get them it’s like opening a time capsule. Suddenly I’m flooded with memories of crouching and waiting for the sun to fill the flowers in my father’s garden or how my glasses kept fogging over when it was so cold but I so badly wanted to get that shot of the red berries shining in the orange glow of the sunset. Film, for me, is such a powerful vehicle for memories.


You can see more of Erin's film photos in this set on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment