Sunday, February 6, 2011

Piermario shoots film


Why do you shoot film, Piermario?

I shoot film because I like it more.

A few years ago I once found myself trying to use Photoshop to give some kind of "film feeling" to pictures I shot in digital. I realized it didn't make too much sense to me, so I thought why not shoot straight on film?

I started with toy cameras, just to give it a try, and liked it. Then one day I told my uncle I was thinking about buying an old reflex on eBay. He told me to wait, and a few weeks later I got a green bag with his old Contax and a full range of Zeiss lenses.

That's where I fell in love for good.

I like to take my time to think about each shot, choosing film according to what I'm going to shoot, or even try cheap or expired rolls. I like what can't be reproduced on digital, even dirt and imperfections, light leaks, accidental double exposures and such. Shooting film makes you look at things in a different way, be more careful, learn to wait and even decide that a picture is not good enough. It's a good way of learning from your own mistakes, and smile at surprises, because you never really know if what you shot is what you're going to get.

Sometimes it's not, sometimes is even better.


You can see more of Piermario's film shots on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment