Monday, November 29, 2010

Maggie shoots film


Why do you shoot film, Maggie?

I have so many answers to this question, but the main reason I shoot film is for the connection. There is a fixed number of shots on a roll of film, so each exposure seems precious. I take my time; I frame the moment and adjust my settings, thrilling at the sound of the shutter clicking. I don't immediately know how the photograph has turned out, so I have to trust the experience. It's a kind of commitment, as well as an exercise in letting go. With digital, taking pictures feels limitless, and I snap, snap, snap away practically without thinking--which can be perfect for certain situations. But even the most beautiful of digital shots I get that way are often devoid of the emotional connection I feel with my film photos. More conscious of the making and taking of each photograph, every winner I find when my film is developed and returned feels mindful, valuable, and earned.

In our fast-paced and disposably instant world, that's an enormously satisfying feeling to get from something as simple as a roll of film.


You can see more of Maggie's photos on her blog; Folkloric.

No comments:

Post a Comment